About Me

My photo
Dear Reader, We have created this blog as a project for school, and we intend on updating with the most current news updates in the organic food industry.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Service Learning


Service Learning

            I believe that it is one thing to talk about what you stand for and another thing to act on it. By taking action on a subject I feel strong about, I felt like I was actually making a difference.

            At first I was nervous about bringing organic fruit to classroom for the chance that it would taste no different or even worse than the regular fruit. Since the idea of bringing organic fruit in was to promote it, I was hoping it would be delicious. I then remembered that the main purpose of eating organic is not because they taste better but the positive effects it can have on the environment, your health, and local community.

            I was able to run my lesson during snack time which worked out well. I asked the children what organic meant. One child quickly chimed in with some information about how her mom only shops at Trader Joes. “It means that there are no chemicals in it,” she said. I then expanded on her thoughts and described some of the process most food goes through including pesticides, GMOS, and hormones, I then showed them one of the apples in my basket. I asked them if they could observe any differences. “It looks dusty,” said one child. I talked to them about how this is how an apple looks naturally and that it is the wax that makes it look shiny. I offered the organic apples to anyone who wanted one. Fortunatly, the apples were incredible. They were perfectly ripe, with a satisfying juicy crunch. As they enjoyed there apples I talked more to them about how organic vegetable are better for your health, and the environment.

            The service learning project seemed to be effective. Although they are just children, they understand that poisons used for plants can hurt the environment, and that it makes sense that plants are best to be kept natural rather than modified by humans.

            I stated previously, it felt good to take action on a topic I feel is important to our community. So often we do no more than just talk about it rather than make a difference. I believe that I will do similar activities with my future students as well. I believe that the one big difference for my future students is that I will do my best to give them the pros and cons of both sides so that they can form their own opinion.

 I plan on being an activist throughout my whole life. My plan is to do my “service learning” my Peace corp. in Northern Uganda. As I Christian I feel a constant urge to do God’s work by spreading love and showing it through my actions and hard work. I think there is no better gratification but to do something for the benefit of someone else rather than yourself.

I think that this is a great assignment to push students to make a difference. I do believe that with how hectic the semester is, it would be helpful if there were already connections made with different places for students. I think this would allow students to do cooler activities. For example, I would have rather got to work on a farm, but after a few hours of trying to find a placement, I gave up.

Tom Gillespie

No comments:

Post a Comment