About Me

My photo
Dear Reader, We have created this blog as a project for school, and we intend on updating with the most current news updates in the organic food industry.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Service Learning

Service Learning:
 By: Autumn Gadd
 
I did my service learning project through the company I work for, Flatbread Company in Amesbury. I have mentioned before that my company buys all local, and organic food to feed to our customers. Everything they stand for is awesome, and they are always looking to help a new organization and donate to others. 

One of the farms that they purchase food from is Cider Hill Farm in Amesbury, which is an organic farm. I did not know until I started this blog that waste, and products that to do look appetizing anymore such as wilted lettuce is separated form the trash into a compost bucket. When buckets are filled they then have that food picked up by Cider Hill, and it is fed to the animals there. I thought that this was awesome that the food is not going to waste but instead being fed to the animals on the farm that help run our company. 

Finding this out I decided that I wanted to help separate the trash from the compost food. As I was doing this (not the most appealing job) I tried to throw in lemon peels. One of the guys downstairs with me stopped me and told me that the animals wont touch the food if the lemon peels are in there, and they hate them. I thought that that was really interesting, and it informed me even more how concerned they are. We do not just throw all food in this bucket, its only the wilted lettuce, carrot scraps, celery scraps,  and other vegetable that we have at the time. 

Doing this project gave me more respect for farmers and the work that they do. The time I put into separating the food is nothing compared to the labor they do to produce healthy organic food for the local people, and companies. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment