About Me

My photo
Dear Reader, We have created this blog as a project for school, and we intend on updating with the most current news updates in the organic food industry.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Wrap up!





What I learned:  Being very knowledgable of the topic, I thought this would have been a good route for me.  Turns out it was a much harder topic than imagined.  The issue of organic food is highly controversial and wide spanned. There are so many areas that go into it, such as; too high of price, labeling, what is considered organic, and the benefits of eating organics.  I have learned that there ARE such policies in place, providing necessary information to us.. but it is not enough.  We still don't really know what is going into organic foods, and we deserve to know.  We deserve to know every piece of information about the food that is going into our bodies. 


Where I stand:  I have been a huge supporter of organics for a while.  But right now I feel that until we get the policies we want in place, it would be a hard decision to spend money on organics.  We don't really know what organic is and what brands can be trusted.  I will continue to eat organic foods (meat, dairy, vegetables), but I will wait to go completely organic.  I would love to pursue a holistic lifestyle in the future!


Curriculum:  Referring to current events such as this is necessary for classrooms.  Although we don't want to preach, it is important for kids to know about healthy eating.  But it is even more important for them to learn about the issue, and learn what we can do to fix it.  In an older classroom, it could be a nice idea too learn about the issue and take action as a class.  Spreading awareness about things we can control is an important lesson for students. 


Service Learning: So far I have spoken with two people regarding our topic.  One person is the nutritionist at my gym, and the other is my pilate's instructor!  I have learned a lot from them, and I have discussed participating in a seminar with them in the very near future.  They give lectures about healthy eating and organics, and what we can do to take action!

No comments:

Post a Comment