About Me

My photo
Dear Reader, We have created this blog as a project for school, and we intend on updating with the most current news updates in the organic food industry.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sign!
I signed a petition for telling the FDA we have a right to know what is in our food. Personally I find this extremely important, I certainly would like to know what I am eating, where it comes form, and what is in it. It is our job to take care of our bodies and to stay healthy. Having a healthy diet is one way in which we can all better ourselves and our bodies, knowing what we are eating is a huge help. This action connects with democratic values by speaking up and fighting for something some people may find important. The petition will hopefully gain enough names and bring an awareness to the FDA on how people feel about organic food, and knowing what they are eating.

Educate
Until this year I didn't know the impact, or even how teaching social justice to young children could have. I always thought that it was a topic for adults and that when children grew older they would learn it by themselves (thats how my education was). Education can definitely be used as an instrument for the public good. Teaching children what a good citizen is, bringing awareness of what is going on in their community, and brainstorming ideas on how they can contribute and how to be a good citizen can be so inspirational for both student and teacher.
“Struggle for social justice is central to our nation’s history…”concerns about the common good and the rights of the individual, no matter how humble in social standing, transcends politics and holds a definitive place in the realms of morality, ethics and federal law, and therefore on the world of teaching social studies.”
 As a future educator I hope I can bring this quote into my classroom, and take at least partial responsibility for opening the world of social justice to my students.


No comments:

Post a Comment