About Me

My photo
Dear Reader, We have created this blog as a project for school, and we intend on updating with the most current news updates in the organic food industry.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Interview on Organic Food and it's Effects on Health


I interviewed my brothers’ girlfriend, my friend, and my co-worker Melissa Lavenson. We both work at Flatbread Company Amesbury. Our restaurant uses organic food and all local ingredients when available.

1. Do you think organic food has an effect on our health?

“I do believe that eating and buying organic food whenever possible is beneficial to your everyday health”

2. Do you think others in our community this is an important problem? why/ why not?

“Organic food is 50% more expensive than non- organic food in most grocery stores. Some people in our community cannot afford to buy the food because of its price therefore I feel that may be a problem. Our restaurant donates food to people in the community so that they have the opportunity to have a healthy meal that they may not have otherwise been able to afford.”

3. What policy, if any, does government now have to deal with this problem?

“There really is no policy about mandating that children or adults have to eat organic food. The help that they may get from the government (WIC, food stamps or food kitchens) don't have the funds to buy organic food or assist others in buying it. The health benefits of organic are obvious. Pesticides (which do not occur in organic food) have been scientifically proven to cause anything from headaches to birth defects. So anyone can benefit health wise from eating and organic diet. “

4. What are advantages of this policy?

“Some governments have started to issue organic or all natural foods in schools to help the children get nutrition that they may not get at home. I feel that this is a wonderful policy to have in schools. Even if it is not 100% organic it is still better for children to have a balanced diet of foods that may be local or non-processed. It also can help local farms do more business.”

5. What are disadvantages of this policy?

“The disadvantage to this policy is that it of course costs more money but that is the only one I can see.“

6. How might the policy be improved?

“The government could give more assistance or more education to parents and children about the health benefits of healthy eating. I feel that it has come so far and been getting much better lately. Helping to end childhood obesity and educating youth about healthy organic food has become more prevalent in today’s society.”

7. Does the policy need to be replaced? why?

“This policy doesn't need to be replaced it just needs to be improved every day. It can always be improved.”

8. Where can I get more information about this problem and the different positions people take on this problem?

“You can get information about local organic foods on USDA websites or from your local organic farm. They are always knowledgeable about current events and any community events.”

Reflection:

I ended up learning a lot from my interview. I always knew that organic food was more expensive compared to non-organic food but I never knew it is typically 50% more expensive. I also had no idea that the government was starting to issue organic food and all natural food to some schools. That is such an inspirational idea and gives the children at those schools a great experience to healthy food choices that they may never have had before. I also agree with Melissa when she said, “The government could give more assistance or more education to parents and children about the health benefits of healthy eating. I feel that it has come so far and been getting much better lately. Helping to end childhood obesity and educating youth about healthy organic food has become more prevalent in today’s society.” Giving more information and education to people who are unaware of the benefits of eating healthy would rise awareness and help people live healthier lives.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you interviewed people in the food industry. :o) They may not own the business but they are selling the products so it makes it so much more interesting. As a mother who is the sole grocery shopper I do now that organic food is so much more expensive then non-organic. Part of the problem I agree is awareness but also financial. If there were a way to regulate it I wish someone would come up with it already. I do think it should be mandatory that every business should donate some of their products. Fresh food can go bad quickly so it only makes sense to me to at least share the wealth.

    ReplyDelete