About Me

My photo
Dear Reader, We have created this blog as a project for school, and we intend on updating with the most current news updates in the organic food industry.

Friday, January 27, 2012

First post!

Hello Reader,
We have begun this blog for a project for a class at Salem State University, located 30 minutes from Boston, MA.  We are all prospective teachers, as we are enrolled in the Elementary Education Licensure program here at salem.  Each of us, too, has a second major. Below you will find a quick introduction to each blogger on this blog!

Rachel: I am a psychology double major (with elementary education), and also working towards a specialization in applied behavior analysis.  I have been interesting in the topic of organics for the last few years.  It wasn't until recently where I was actually asking myself, "What is really organic?"  How do we know what organic food is?  If it's something we should be indulging in, why is it so expensive?  How do we know what actually is organic?  Is it really worth the money?  All of these questions I hope to answer for myself as well as the reader.

Autumn: I am a sociology double major to elementary education.  I was introduced to organics at a young age, and have connections to the organic production.  I am very much so in favor of organics, but there are a lot of questions to be asked now that there are so many people against it.  I would specifically like to know a little bit more about the business's that carry organic selection.  Where are they getting this from? Why did they chose to sell it?  I would also like to know a little bit more about where they got i from.

Tom:  My majors are elementary education and physical education here at Salem State.  I am looking to gain knowledge on organics in multiple areas.  One of my biggest questions is what is so good about organics?  Why is organics actually preferred over processed?  To some that may seem like an outrageous question. But the fact of the matter is, we don't really know WHAT to consider organics, and that seems to be the huge question right now.  What actually qualifies a food to be "organic"?


http://www.alternet.org/health/81773
Here is a great article we found on organics.  It's more so just a general article describing some issues with organic foods currently.  It focuses on whether or not organic food is actually better for us.  We chose this article because we are still trying to find a specific route to follow in the organic topic.

1 comment:

  1. It would seem that Mother Nature knew what she was doing. The more we seek to enhance one feature it looks like there is loss in another area. I know from my own doctors that American's tend to have a greater deficiency in B12. perhaps over processed foods are part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete